Skip to main content

He Keeps Me Singing

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;  Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (Ephesians 5:18-20)
I’ve been following a devotional this year that has really been powerful.  If you are interested in a good online option, I highly recommend the Daily Text from Seedbed.  The last few days we have been wandering in the wilderness with the people of God.  There have been many times that I realize that stories that I thought I knew, maybe I didn’t know as well as I thought I did.  It’s good to flush out those finer points because we do think we know.  And the word of God is alive.  The Holy Spirit wants to make things alive to us.

One of these entries admonished us to sing.  There is something about singing.  And I’m rather distressed and alarmed that some officials are telling us we shouldn’t sing at church.  But that discussion aside, there is no reason we can’t sing in our homes, our yards, etc.
My father sang all the time.  If he wasn’t singing, he’d be whistling.  And he was an exceptionally good whistler.  We didn’t have a car when I was growing up.  If we needed to go out of the city we’d have to hitch a ride with someone else.  That was usually someone from the church.  Typically, the man would be driving and he would look at my dad, who was already elderly and say, Brother Johannesen, please sit in the front.  Within five minutes my dad was whistling.  It embarrassed me.  But as we all realize when we grow up and our parents are gone, we’d give anything to hear him whistle now.

But at home, he would sing.  No, he didn’t belt things out at the top of his lungs, but he seemed to always have a song.  With his Norwegian accent he would sing familiar hymns and I am sure he was reflecting on the Lord in worship.  I particularly remember Just a Closer Walk With Thee (Yust a Closer Valk vith Dee), and Do You Know My Jesus? (Du You Know my Yesus).  Even now, when we sing those songs at church I hear it with that Norwegian accent.  Such is the case with many of the precious old hymns we sing.

But the other night I heard one that I haven’t heard in ages!  It did remind me of my dad but I honestly can’t remember him singing it specifically but since I flashed back to him I just have.  It is the hymn “Like A River Glorious.”  What a great song for today.  What a great song to remind us of God’s peace.  

Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way.
Refrain:
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.
Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.
Every joy or trial falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
We may trust Him fully, all for us to do;
They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.

Have you lost your song?  I encourage you to build yourself in your faith by singing and worshiping God today.  What hymn, gospel song, contemporary or traditional will you start with? Maybe you can start with He Keeps Me Singing and let Jesus swept (sweep) across your broken strings and stir the slumbering chords again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday is Coming

  Romans 5:4-5 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces  perseverance;  and perseverance,  character; and character, hope.  5  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Tomorrow we will celebrate the resurrection of our Lord.   How glorious Easter is – Alleluia, HE IS RISEN!!   We are people who have hope because death was defeated.   The resurrection of our Lord is the most important element of our faith. I know that all of us experience tragedy and loss.   I have hopefully been able to provide some comfort to some of you who have experienced grief and loss over the years I have served you as pastor.   It is no secret that our family has suffered another terrible tragedy.   You have been with me through the death of my great granddaughter, the death of my grandson three years ago, and now, another grandson has died.   We are devastated. Our church

UNPRECIDENTED

Psalm 139 O Lord , you have examined my heart   and know everything about me. 2 You know when I sit down or stand up.   You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. 3 You see me when I travel   and when I rest at home.   You know everything I do. 4 You know what I am going to say   even before I say it, Lord . 5 You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,   too great for me to understand! ... 16 You saw me before I was born.   Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out   before a single day had passed. As we ponder our current situation, it is easy to succumb to anxiety.  I know I have.  I fluctuate from oh, what’s the big deal to wondering if I have enough food in the house or worse.  I also spend time thinking and praying for the most vulnerable in our church family.  I think of some of our older members and realize that they’ve seen lots of difficult

Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus

The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10 I think it was just last summer I did a sermon series on the story behind the penning of some of our most loved classic hymns.  Each hymn we looked out was born out of a deep experience that often-involved tragedy.  It is in the deep moments of life that we cry out to God and He meets us.  For me, one of the verses that I have clung to through the various and often very painful experiences of my life is “I will never leave you or forsake you.”  A simple phrase but so powerful and life-giving to know that Jesus is always with us. The song that has resonated with me over the last few days is “Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus.”  Here is a link to a beautiful version of this wonderful hymn.  I will also post the lyrics at the end of this blog. Louisa M. R. Stead was born in England in 1850. She came to the U.S. as a young woman. In 1875 Louisa married and moved to New York. The loving cou