Skip to main content

Til The Storm Passes By

It’s almost fall.  Labor Day, the official end of summer is here.  Kids are already back in school.  Soon we’ll be drinking pumpkin spice, talking about Halloween, Turkey Shoots, and then Christmas.  This year is going very fast.  We had all hoped that 2021 would be better than 2020, and maybe it has, and maybe it hasn’t.  Depends on who you ask.  Whether one is worse then the other doesn’t really matter.  It’s rough right now.

The last Sunday of August we prayed about Covid, Afghanistan, the devastating floods in Waverly, Hurricane Ida and a host of other local concerns.  I sometimes feel at a loss to know how to pray.  I feel ineffective. 

As I prayerfully considered this writing for the Pastor’s Pen, I considered all these things that we as a country are dealing with and I watched the whipping winds of Ida tearing through Louisiana.  I feel overwhelmed as a pastor for all the needs we have in front of us.  Then I remembered an old gospel song.  Well, it’s not that old.  Keep Me Safe Til the Storm Passes By.

Written in 1958 by the prolific songwriter Mosie Lister, it was originally written for Mahalia Jackson.  We don’t know the inspiration but perhaps he was thinking about Mark 4:39: He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 

I’m also reminded of the story of John Wesley’s trip across the Atlantic in 1735. He and his brother, Charles, were with a group of Moravian immigrants from Germany, who were in the middle of a worship service when the storm hit.  John wrote, “the sea broke over, split the main sail in pieces, covered the ship and poured in between the decks as if the great deep had already swallowed us up.”  While the storm railed, the Moravians continued to sing, while the English people on board were terrified.  What was the difference?  The Moravians were at peace with God and trusted in Him.

The Psalmist writes in 42:7 says: “Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.”  The deep well of living water that is within us can call out to the waves that sweep over us.  He will keep us safe until the storm passes by.


In the dark of the midnight
Have I oft hid my face
While the storm howls above me
And there's no hiding place
'Mid the crash of the thunder
Precious Lord, hear my cry
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by

'Til the storm passes over
'Til the thunder sounds no more
'Til the clouds roll forever from the sky
Hold me fast, let me stand
In the hollow of Thy hand
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by








Many times Satan whispers
There is no need to try
For there's no end of sorrow
There's no hope by and by
But I know Thou art with me
And tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms
Never darken the skies

When the long night has ended
And the storms come no more
Let me stand in Thy presence
On that bright, peaceful shore
In that land where the tempest
Never comes, Lord may I
Dwell with Thee
When the storm passes by"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday is Coming

  Romans 5:4-5 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces  perseverance;  and perseverance,  character; and character, hope.  5  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Tomorrow we will celebrate the resurrection of our Lord.   How glorious Easter is – Alleluia, HE IS RISEN!!   We are people who have hope because death was defeated.   The resurrection of our Lord is the most important element of our faith. I know that all of us experience tragedy and loss.   I have hopefully been able to provide some comfort to some of you who have experienced grief and loss over the years I have served you as pastor.   It is no secret that our family has suffered another terrible tragedy.   You have been with me through the death of my great granddaughter, the death of my grandson three years ago, and now, another grandson has died.   We are devastated. Our church

UNPRECIDENTED

Psalm 139 O Lord , you have examined my heart   and know everything about me. 2 You know when I sit down or stand up.   You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. 3 You see me when I travel   and when I rest at home.   You know everything I do. 4 You know what I am going to say   even before I say it, Lord . 5 You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,   too great for me to understand! ... 16 You saw me before I was born.   Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out   before a single day had passed. As we ponder our current situation, it is easy to succumb to anxiety.  I know I have.  I fluctuate from oh, what’s the big deal to wondering if I have enough food in the house or worse.  I also spend time thinking and praying for the most vulnerable in our church family.  I think of some of our older members and realize that they’ve seen lots of difficult

Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus

The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10 I think it was just last summer I did a sermon series on the story behind the penning of some of our most loved classic hymns.  Each hymn we looked out was born out of a deep experience that often-involved tragedy.  It is in the deep moments of life that we cry out to God and He meets us.  For me, one of the verses that I have clung to through the various and often very painful experiences of my life is “I will never leave you or forsake you.”  A simple phrase but so powerful and life-giving to know that Jesus is always with us. The song that has resonated with me over the last few days is “Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus.”  Here is a link to a beautiful version of this wonderful hymn.  I will also post the lyrics at the end of this blog. Louisa M. R. Stead was born in England in 1850. She came to the U.S. as a young woman. In 1875 Louisa married and moved to New York. The loving cou